How do you make Kinetic Sand at home? This kinetic sand recipe uses just 3 ingredients to make a soft, moldable sand that provides hours of fun sensory play time for kids!
Kinetic sand is an easy activity that allows kids to explore their senses and build fine motor skills. We like to add ours to sensory bins by adding in fun tools and toys. You can do an ocean sensory bin with some blue kinetic sand, sea shells, and toy fish. Or an outer space sensory bin with black kinetic sand and glow in the dark stars.
What is kinetic sand?
Kinetic sand is a soft play sand that is crumbly but still moldable. It will hold together and keeps its shape when it’s squeezed or pressed. We love adding ours to themed sensory bins for hours of playtime.
What supplies do you need to make kinetic sand?
- 1 cup each of play sand in 6 different colors. 6 cups in total. Unless you’re choosing to make only a few colors.
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 cup olive oil
How do you make rainbow kinetic sand at home?
- Add one cup of each color sand to separate bowls.
- Add ⅓ cup of cornstarch to each bowl of sand, and stir until completely combined.
- Add 4 teaspoons of olive oil to each bowl, then stir well to combine.
- Add the colors to a cake pan in a line.
How do I store kinetic sand?
We like to keep our sand in a plastic bin or small tote with a lid to keep our sensory bins contained and sealed.