Have you ever given a sick toddler medicine? It’s not always a pretty picture…usually they fight and spit it back in your face, at least this has been my experience since my son has learned to just spit it out. But what I’ve learned after having two kids is that there is an easier way to do it! You don’t have to resort to trying to hold your toddler down or chase them through the house trying to get them to cooperate. If you’ve had a hard time getting your kids to take their medicine especially when it’s necessary to have the doses taken, then take a look at some of our helpful tips below.
1. Let them be in control. If your child’s older and able to take the medicine themselves without making much of a mess, let them. Fill the medicine dropper up for them so that you know they’re getting the right amount and have them put it on a spoon to take themselves. When your child knows they have control over the situation it usually makes it easier.
2. Try using an oral syringe. This is a lot easier to use than the cups, and a lot faster to. Place the oral syringe in the back of the cheek and follow with a chaser like apple juice.
3. Reward them. Because what child doesn’t like a reward? Let them know that if they take the medicine without an argument they can pick a treat for afterwards.
4. Talk to them. Explain to them why they need to take the medicine and what it’s going to do for them. Sometimes when you child’s throwing a fit all you need to do is be rational with them and explain to them what’s going on.
5. Use a decoy. Mix the medicine with a juice or something sweet like a spoonful of yogurt.
6. Make it a game. My kids love playing doctor, using their stuffed animals as their patients. Grab some pretend medicine “water” and your child’s medicine, then have them give you your medicine then you can give them theirs.
7. Get a Good Tasting Medicine. This is so important, and can save you so much hassle. The biggest reason kids refuse their medicine is because of the “yucky” flavor. We started using Nauzene® and the kids love the natural grape flavor. What’s even better is that Nauzene Kids which relieves nausea and upset tummies from kids 2 and up, is a gentle homeopathic formula. Both gluten and paraben free, it also contains no artificial flavors, dyes, or salicylates.
Like with everything in your medicine cabinet, please make sure to read and follow all label instructions before using.
One thing about having kids is that when they get sick most of the time the whole family shares the bug. So not only is Nauzene recommended by pediatricians for your kids but it’s also great for adults too, providing relief for the whole family!
Nauzene® is available for purchase at CVS, HEB, and many other retailers nationwide. You can get a $3.00 coupon to try Nauzene Kids for your family at NauzeneKids.com
Win a Nauzene® care package!
Share with us some tips you use to successfully get your kids to take their medicine in the comments below. One lucky reader who leaves a comment will win a Nauzene® care package!